[Bf-committers] Draco open source 3D compression from Google

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:03:14 CET 2017

Hi,

Here is comparison of different formats using triangulated adult dragon
from Sintel:

 12,105,660  dragon_compressed.blend
 11,261,674  dragon_compressed.blend.gz
 36,831,000  dragon_uncompressed.blend
 11,634,220  dragon_uncompressed.blend.gz
    893,100  dragon.drc
    830,090  dragon.drc.gz
 11,265,324  dragon.fbx
 10,487,110  dragon.fbx.gz
 31,398,634  dragon.obj
  8,823,381  dragon.obj.gz
 79,948,585  dragon.ply
 15,625,622  dragon.ply.gz

Draco is order of magnitude smaller than compressed OBJ. After converting
Draco back to OBJ and importing it to Blender didn't see any issues with
the surface. So seems it's not like it dropped all the geometry.

Surely this is just a result of quick experiment, but it passed the
threshold of being interesting enough for the further investigation.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:36 AM, dj azo <azo at djazo.com> wrote:

> Examining
>
> https://github.com/google/draco
>
> There is just PLY encoder.
>
> > On 2 Feb 2017, at 12.25, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This would first be something for web projects I guess.
> >
> > The claim made in the blog post is also unclear. As one of the
> commenters (Lubos) writes:
> > "I miss in the article information which file format they compressed"
> >
> > I'm afraid they used an ascii format and compare it with theirs.
> >
> > -Ton-

> > Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org
> > Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
> > Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
> >

> >> On 02 Feb 2017, at 07:12, Chris Lee <infin8eye at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am keen to find out more about how this could be added to Blender,
> but I
> >> do not know where it would even show up in the interface, when used.
> >> Would Google's Draco compression be something that is added to 3D object
> >> exporting as an option?
> >>
> >> Kind Regards,
> >> Chris "*Chips*" Lee
> >> Mobile: 0410155111