[Bf-committers] Blender game transition

yul brynner you.le at live.fr
Tue Dec 19 22:44:54 CET 2017

Hi, thanks for your interest.

Some videos I did (but I'm not an artist)

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJ0h71LnCU
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yi9yWb8jio
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXu-q2bC3Q
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ApL6wLahWc

I add some precisions:

Be aware that 2.8 is still in development, as the build I shared. This is in experimental stage for now.

- eevee's rendering is used directly with very few modifications
- when the camera doesn't move and when nothing is moving inside camera frustum,
TAA (antialiasing filter is applied). Contrarly to the viewport, 1 more sample (effects->taa_current_sample) is added each frame to have a nice result in bge.
- I did a little adaptation of eevee's code to have planars working (but it is still fickering sometimes)
- Some little adaptations were needed too for post processing.

- A CAMERA is always needed in the scene.

- The code I added is very short, but I removed bge render.
- The little API I wrote in draw_manager/KX_GameObject is still incomplete but gives an idea about how I did to deal with cache.

- bge post processing works (you have to use in vec4 bgl_TexCoord; out vec4 fragColor; in your filters)
- ImageRender works
- VideoFFMPEG works
- Blenderplayer works
- Most of logic (including python logic works)
- Most of Physics (including python physics works)

I can't be exhaustive on what is working as I can't be exhaustive on what is not working.

About win32, I'm used to build with because of alignment errors (I didn't noticed performance differences between 32/64 bits on my computer), but I can share a 64 build if needed.

About testing .blend, you can test classroom scene from here: https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/ adding logic bricks to the camera for example.

Else I share some test files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1psRJIj48afi92zgvyVClmgFQPbj8LCSx?usp=sharing

I added I license.txt for models with licenses. These files are pretty simple. BUT I opened few complex files (sometimes with several linked .blends) and I was happy to see that it was working as expected.

For artists who never used bge, you can try this quick tutorial I just did: https://youtu.be/byK_Nfinxns

The rendering performances are normally the same as eevee as I use eevee's rendering directly, but as I said when nothing is moving the AA filter is applied each frame so in a static scene you can have a low fps whereas when things are moving, the fps increases.

When it will be more stable, I guess eevee in bge could be used to create small but high quality games OR by artists/architects... to create nice interactive scenes.

IMHO, All in one software is a strength, and python scripting too. If Blender Foundation finds a qualified developer to launch interactive mode, my proposal for a game engine transition is obsolete. Else, this can be considered as a nice tool waiting for interactive mode.