[Bf-committers] Patch: OCIO Parse Colorspace From Filename

Adriano Oliveira adriano.ufrb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 17:21:52 CET 2017

Hi people,

I think this is ok, but do not really address "the tedium of manual setting
of color spaces". No one would change two clicks in a drop down menu by a
lot of typing in texture names: "_sRGB", "_linear"...

It would be better to add sensitive conditions to names that we already use
in PBR texture workflow: "_albedo" or "_basecolor" (=sRGB/gamma 2.2);
"_rough", "metalic", "_ao"... (=linear).

And maybe we should separate the color management for textures nodes and
the color management in media input for composing purposes. In Blender
composition workflow, like in Natron em Nuke, beeing able to set color
spaces for incoming media is fundamental, and they can vary a lot and will
vary a lot more in future (REC2020...)

But textures at material setting context are not as complicated. We just
have two effective scenarios: linear or sRGB (gamma corrected). Everything
should be linear for maps, but as long as we stay with old 256 levels per
channel, gamma correct is needed for color textures due to compression. The
future in this area is everything linear texture at 16 or 32 bit, not a
profusion of color spaces (who knows...).

That is why a "[ ] sRGB" or "[ ] gamma corrected" check box in Texture
Image node is the ideal solution for the unnecessary drop down for only two
color space in this context.

*Adriano A. Oliveira*