[Bf-committers] Patch: OCIO Parse Colorspace From Filename

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Mon Dec 11 11:47:36 CET 2017

On 2017-12-11 11:39, Dalai Felinto wrote:
> Aren't you mixing color space and lens deformation? Troy is referring to
> the former, while you seem to be talking about the latter.

Yes, and that's on purpose, as it shows the danger of trying to extract
semantics from file names.

> That said, if you do use "_linear" as a suffix for your filenames, the
> image will be opened as linear, although you may not want it in some rare
> cases like yours. The patch could have this as an option for the file open
> dialog, similar to how we do for multi-view, but in this case, on by
> default.

I agree. IMO it should also be explicit that the file name matters when
it comes to colour interpretation. I think an option "Guess colour space
from filename" with a bit more explanation in the tooltip would suffice.

What would happen with AdobeRGB data in "planks_linear.jpg"? In other
words, who wins when the filename and embedded profile are conficting?

Sybren