[Bf-committers] Weekly meetings and communication channels

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 02:09:28 CEST 2017

Having a "This Week in Blender Development" ~ activity log would fill a gap.
Not just for anyone interested in following development, it could also
help give attention to new development - patches, branches etc.

Currently there activity on developer.blender.org which is too
detailed, or the very occasional blog post on code.blender.org.

While the weekly meetings notes aren't meant to be a general news -
every so often newsworthy items are included.
I have the impression people want to read them to find out interesting
things that are going on.

The topics in the meeting notes are quite haphazard - depending on
timezones and who shows up to the meeting.

Having said all this, added communication takes time - the author of
this-week-in-rust said it takes between ~4-6 hours a week.
A Blender equivalent would be much smaller since we wouldn't be
including general news (things BlenderNation already covers).

If this can be shared between a few people I think its not such a big
task to maintain.
Ideally anyone could submit items (this-week-in-rust accepts via pull
requests and twitter).

On boarding is a big topic, would rather discuss in IRC.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:18 PM, Aaron Carlisle <carlisle.b3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of moving the weekly meeting to Monday and alternating the
> time.
> As far as other forms of communication a definitely think that something
> better needs to be done.
> I like the idea of activity log, the forum would be hard to maintain a
> could end up like:
> https://www.blender.org/forum/ This would also be hard to use along side
> with blenderartists.org
> not to mention the fact that like blenderartists no one will like to go to
> the forum.
>
> Aaron Carlisle
>
> Picture taker | Bit cruncher | Pixel pusher | Document writer | Artist
> Project administrator for the Blender 3D Documentation Project
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> With a lot of Blender's development now handled by people who do it as a
>> daytime job, the weekend meetings are increasingly hard to keep interesting
>> and useful.
>>
>> The Monday morning 2.8 kickoff session (see previous mail) is much more
>> productive.
>> However, it only suits EU and Asia/Australia, not the Americas.
>>
>> Proposal: alternate Monday meetings to be 10:00 and 18:00 Amsterdam time.
>> Drop the Sunday meetings.
>> Other ideas welcome :)
>>
>> Campbell pointed at what Rust (programming language) does.
>>
>> 1) Forums: (discourse)
>> https://internals.rust-lang.org/categories
>>
>> 2) Weekly activity log
>> https://this-week-in-rust.org/
>>
>> 3) Freenode IRC meetings based on interest, scheduled via activity log
>> #rust-community, #rust-docs, #rust-triage
>>
>> Especially the triage sessions follow an interesting approach:
>> https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/rust-release-triage
>>
>> 4) No mailing lists!
>> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2015-January/011558.html
>>
>> Now I don't think we need to drop mailing lists, but the forums and
>> activity log sound great.
>> Discourse also might help making our onboarding process better.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> -Ton-

- Campbell