[Bf-committers] VSE devs?

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 29 22:18:35 CEST 2017

Hi all,
  sorry for the bad quoting but since I'm resurrecting an old thread I
thought it might be a good idea to quote it entirely (my question comes
after the quoted text):

On 18/04/2017 21:44, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi Olly,
>
> Any chance you can hangout with us in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders a bit?
> We really need VSE development time, sometimes it works nicer if we can talk to you a bit.
>
> You already have a nice set of patches, time to give it attention.
> https://developer.blender.org/differential/query/ayDUZOd0Sga9/#R
>
> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org
> Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
> Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
>

>> On 03 Mar 2017, at 18:03, OllyFunkster <blender at funkster.org> wrote:
>>
>>    Thanks for the comments all. I had been only dimly aware of the
>> module owners list, I think I probably saw it once when getting started
>> with Blender. I'm not sure if I would be a suitable candidate for VSE
>> ownership as the time I can spend on development is pretty variable
>> (though I usually have time to look at bug reports), but maybe something
>> is better than nothing! Anyway, no matter for right now.
>>
>>    I totally understand the main focus being on 2.8 - if people have
>> time to review patches then great, but it's hardly a major problem for
>> me. I already have the fixes I need after all! As long as I'm getting
>> the steps in the right order.
>>
>>    I think in the coming weeks I'll try to get some builds out there
>> with all my patches in so that more people can play with them without
>> having to build from source. Also I will try to further my knowledge for
>> the long-term VSE development as mentioned by Troy - I'm not much of a
>> filmmaker but my brother is, so I plan to go and hassle him for a tour
>> of his editing system!
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Olly

how did this develop? When I read through the meeting minutes I'm always
hoping to find some news about the VSE, but it looks like it's still
kind of abandoned. I myself contributed two bugfixes months ago, which
I'm afraid have bitrotten by now.

If Olly is no longer available to help, or if he has too little time,
then I'd like to propose to form a group of developers who are willing
to collectively take care of the VSE in their (little) spare time, at
least until a new maintainer is found.

For what is worth, I'd happily join such a group. I'm also always
running short of time, and I cannot guarantee any regularity or
promptness, let alone contributions of new features; but even if I was
able to get a single patch reviewed (and hopefully landed) every month,
that would still be better than nothing. :-) And if there are more devs
doing the same, then I believe we could make a significant contribution.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have some ideas on how to get the
VSE rolling again?

Ciao,
  Alberto