[Bf-committers] Breaking fundamental functionality in Blender 2.79?

Kai Kostack kaikostack at gmx.net
Fri Aug 18 11:15:37 CEST 2017

Dear Blender devs,

This is a small reminder that you should be more cautious when changing
fundamental functionality of Blender just for the fun of it. The 2.79 RC build
had such surprises for me which I didn't expect:

For instance setting origin to center of mass is not working on non-solid
(open) objects anymore.
https://developer.blender.org/T52434

Or rigid body settings aren't changeable anymore during simulation without
invalidating the point cache.
https://developer.blender.org/T52374

In my opinion these changes are not well thought through and tested.
Such issues could have been avoided just by asking yourself the question:
Why did it work in a specific way before and does it really, REALLY make sense
to change this?

For me and my work these are crucial issues which worked in 2.78c and
should be fixed or reverted for the final 2.79 release.

With respect,
Kai Kostack