[Bf-committers] Getting the associated Blender object name from a uiBut object

The Simple Carnival jeff at simplecarnival.com
Tue Aug 8 03:27:31 CEST 2017

Actually, I take that back. It's pretty messy to handle that from the
Restrict View section because it would mean overriding the ability to
turn on/off the view/select/render icons. Plus, out of the available
modifier keys (shift, alt, oskey -- ctrl is already taken), only shift
appears to work on Windows. I need the ability to insert, replace, and
delete keyframes, and shift can't handle all those cases. So I'm back to
handling this as right-click "Insert/Replace/Delete Recursive Keyframes"
menu option.

All I need is the ability to get the name of the associated Blender
object name from a uiBut object; from there, I know how to handle
everything else. I'm thinking that the key is this, in particular ptr in
the second line:

     but = UI_context_active_but_get(C);
     UI_context_active_but_prop_get(C, &ptr, &prop, &index);

(ptr is a PointerRNA, prop is a PropertyRNA.)

I *think* I can somehow take ptr and get the actual blender object it's
pointing to. However, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to do that.
Any ideas?

-Jeff