[Bf-committers] Better implementation of custom nodes in Blender

Porces porces at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 00:58:10 CEST 2017

Hi all,

As some of you know,  I've been writing some scripts to make the process of
creating new custom nodes for Cycles a bit easier.
This work is now quite functional in a personal machine, but sharing files
with custom nodes is very limited.

The workarounds that are needed to share files that use custom nodes
between users, render farms, and so on; are quite ugly. Not to mention the
fact that there's no uniform way to do it.

One of the causes is the Interface integration! I don't know who wrote the
'nodeitems_utils' and 'nodeitems_builtins' modules, but I'd like to change
them, for them to become more versatil in controlling the UI of the Node
Editor, and also to allow a more fluent compability when sharing files,
creating custom enviroments, and so on...

My main question is 'to whom may I speek about my 'changes' proposal?'.

My second question is the code itself. I think that most that has to do
with custom nodes in Blender, is not very well designed. I have some ideas
to make it better, but I confess that I'm a bit afraid of messing with the
source, and I'd like to have some guidance.

My best regards,

Miguel Poces