[Bf-committers] Please add invert green channel option in Normal Map node

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 16 00:04:49 CEST 2017

While the differences people are pointing out are indeed differences
between engines, it's quite usual to refer to each standard for the
green channel as DirectX or OpenGL (at least in games).

There is also a clear difference between how OpenGL and DirectX render
the green channel in normal maps and it is down to where the origin for
each APIs texture coordinates begin. In OpenGL 0,0 is at the bottom left
whereas in DirectX it is at the top left.

These differences change the direction of the UV "V" direction to be up
or down which accounts for the Y+ in OpenGL or Y- in DirectX. While it
is absolutely true that you could use whatever you want in your engine
it is most common to stick to the convention of the API you are using.

Unity/Blender/Modo/Knald/3dCoat/Maya/NDO/Marmoset use the Y+ OpenGL
standard by default
UE4/Cryengine/Max use the Y- DirectX standard by default.

As bakers often support the use of a toggle/flip green so they are not
locked to any specific API (and for sanity of the user :) ) I think
there is a good case for having a flip green option for both baking and
rendering within Cycles/BI simply because it's nice to preview the
normal map before exporting to another engine.

Cheers,

-Andy