[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 OpenGL 3.3 planning notes 10/04/17

Luca Rood dev at lucarood.com
Mon Apr 10 12:34:38 CEST 2017

Hey,

Today we had a meeting for planning work of the Blender 2.8 OpenGL 3.3 taskforce.

Meeting Log:

Quick notes:
- Dalai reminds everyone about the documents by Mike this weekend: "Blender GL/Vulkan status" [1] and "Blender OpenGL/Vulkan status 2" [2].
- Campbell will port grep query scripts to Py, to ignore commented/#if 0'd code and avoid false positives.
- Task has been made to keep track of these final OpenGL migration tasks [3]. All work will be coordinated through there.
- 2.8 Viewport priorities list [4].
- OpenGL 3.3 specification docs [5].

Focus is on:
- Getting Blender to build and not crash with core profile (WITH_LEGACY_OPENGL=OFF and optionally WITH_GL_CORE).
- Port deprecated calls.
- Integrate more things into draw manager so we can remove DM, CCCsurf, view3d_draw/_draw_legacy.c ...

Initial planning:
- Bastien will tackle low hanging fruits (manipulator code, PRIM_QUAD...)
- Mike and Luca will tackle the matrix conversions.
- Dalai and Sergey will get Blender into a non-crashing state when enabling core profile (trying to isolate the issues into separate tasks, so other devs can help here).
- Campbell will work on selection code.
- Clement and Campbell will work on draw manager related tasks.

As usual, other developers are welcome to join the tasks.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_squazSfHhwYnpV3yO3SuNXWSCvDhV83OFCXkyMzcY/edit
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/17xF5urqTkOZQYlXcgXMJURcI2pxt_qiwZdlLxoTG2oU/edit
[3] https://developer.blender.org/T51164
[4] https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/Viewport/Priorities