[Bf-committers] GSoC proposal: 360 video stabilization

Péter Finta finta96peter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 04:45:17 CEST 2017

Hello Blender community,
I'm Péter Finta, a student applying for the summer of code.

I'm interested in working on motion tracking and stabilizing spherical/360
videos.

With the rise in popularity of virtual reality comes a rise in demand for
> VR content, much of which is in the form of spherical “360°” video. Such
> content can be captured with a consumer 360° camera; however, footage from
> such a device is often handheld or attached to a moving object, introducing
> additional motion making for a poor viewing experience, especially in VR
> where it cause severe motion sickness. This project intends to apply motion
> tracking to such footage, primarily for orientation stabilization, but also
> to solve for the three-dimensional displacement of the camera.

Here's my draft proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/106OHEeExufJGX5LehUPjmQdqJXrvBxPErxXcLeUGhTs/edit?usp=sharing

I'd be interested in any feedback.

Many thanks,