[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developer meeting notes: 2017-04-02

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Apr 2 18:00:52 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Here are the noties from today's 14 UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Blender 2.79 targets

- Updated the targets:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.7

- We are still waiting for three targets to be submitted for review or to be approved.
These are:

- Cycles Denoiser: will become a hidden experimental feature at first. Lukas Stockner still has
to make a good user doc with best practices examples!

- Filmic Blender: status undefined yet, Sergey Sharybin will check.

- OpenHMD (VR support in viewport): reviews are mixed. Question is whether this would
be ready for a release, or whether it's better to be an active branch with test builds.
More reviews will be done. Coder Joey Ferwerda will meet with Dalai Felinto and Sergey to review it.
If no consensus exists about adding OpenHMD in the release, the bf-blender project administrators
will decide (Bastien, Sergey, Campbell, Ton).

- Option: we can extend the BCon3 deadline (targets in master) a couple of weeks more if needed.

2) Blender 2.8

- I'm happy to announce that Aleph Objects (makers of Lulzbot 3D printer) confirmed to support
two full time developers on blender 2.8 workflow and the "101" project.
The key developers for this will be Campbell Barton and Bastien Montagne.
This means that the Development Fund has room to support new developers, especially for 2.79 topics.

3) Other projects

- Google Summer of Code deadline is Monday 3 April 16h UTC.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2017

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands