[Bf-committers] GSoC 2017 - student introduction

Natalevich Mikhail natalevichmv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 19:38:18 CEST 2017

Good evening, Blender development community.

My name is Michael Natalevich, and I'm pursing a Bachelor degree in CS at
Belarusian State University (Minsk, Belarus).  I'm a successful olympiad
participant, and won a silver medal at International Olympiad in
Informatics 2016. That's why I enjoy optimization, improving quality and
creating effective, complicated algorithms.

About Blender and GSoC:
I've heard about GSoC just few days ago from friends at the university.
Blender caught my attention immediately, and I would like to work with you
and contribute very much. I'm new to 3D graphics and rendering, but now I'm
reading a lot about it, because I find it extremely interesting. In fact,
now I would enjoy to write a renderer myself.

Coding background:
Having implemented lots of algorithms at various olympiads, I feel
confident using C++ (STL in particular), and GitHub. I've also got a
project on OpenCL about finding edges in the picture. Moreover, I have some
(but not fluent) knowledge of Python. Unfortunately, I haven't contributed
to open source projects yet.

Blender projects:
I would appreciate a chance to work on UDIM support, Cycles Motion Blur
improvements or Cycles anamorphic breathing, because they require (I hope)
deep analysis and interesting ideas.

Questions:
What concepts should I know to potentially work on one of these projects?
Could you send a link to a good information source on the topic?

Thank you in advance,
Michael Natalevich.