[Bf-committers] Retiring Linux GLibc 2.11 builder

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 23:00:45 CEST 2016

I run an odd system with Sabayon KDE, so I did your command to see if it
would work on my comp. No problem at all.
ldd --version
ldd (Gentoo 2.21-r2 p7) 2.21
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> = Summary =
>
> Our release environment which is based on glibc-2.11 is getting far too old
> and unmaintainable and already causes major problems getting some branches
> to compile.
>
> I plan to discontinue this builder with the next round of dependencies
> update.
>
> The default (and only) supported glibc version will be 2.19 (and above).
>
> = What does this mean for users =
>
> For users it means their Linux box should have glibc-2.19 on their system.
> It doesn't seem to be a problem in model distros, because this libc version
> was released in 2014 and all major distors picked it up.
>
> Basically, everyone on Ubuntu 14.04 and above should be safe. Current
> Debian stable is also safe and ready for such update.
>
> New release environment also has much newer compiler, which hopefully gives
> some %% of speedup.
>
> = How to check whether required GLibc version is installed? =
>
> Most reliable test is to run `ldd --version` and see if gives version 2.19
> or above.
>
> If ldd is not installed, then something like this should work:
>
> - For 64 bit systems: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 --version
> - For 32 bit systems: /lib/i386-linux-gnu//libc.so.6 --version
>
> = Can such bump be avoided? =
>
> In theory, in practice i didn't find a way to limit Blender to only use
> older libc functions. This is also not really fun, because even if we can
> tell Blender to only use older libc symbols, we still link against
> non-self-compiled libraries which seems would also need to be recompiled.
>
> However, if someone knows easy way for us to deliver more portable builds
> from a newer Linux we are fully open to learn that.
>
> = Any possible regressions? =
>
> There should be no regressions. All the known and reported issues were
> fixed already and we already deliver 2.78 release builds for glibc-2.19
> (next to glbc-2.11).
>
> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.