[Bf-committers] Optional gstreamer support for video display

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Sat Oct 15 12:28:46 CEST 2016

Hi Luya,

I'm afraid, that's not a feasible solution for blender.

To support robust frame exact seeking, we have to do some creative stuff
with the ffmpeg API, which is to my knowledge not possible with
gstreamer, I'm afraid.

Suggestion: why don't you build a stripped down version of ffmpeg for
Fedora with all patented codecs removed and use that instead?

A lot of projects depend on ffmpeg (and libavcodec), so: removing it all
together seems a bit extreme to me...

Kind regards,
Peter