[Bf-committers] Making C++11 required for blender2.8 branch

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:07:19 CEST 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So for the allowed parts defeinitely goes:
>
> - Range based loops
> - Function bindings
> - In Cycles we use scoped lock, so should allow using that but with a
> restriction that Blender-side code should stick to BLI for the threading.
> - Audaspace uses shared/uniq pointers to my knowledge, so kinda also need
> to be allowed. But again: for Blender we need to stick to a strict
> ownership of data.

+1 for range-based loops. So much easier to write, read, and think about.

I've never used function bindings but you explained the need in your first
post.

+10 for proper ownership of data!

> Things i'm against:
>
> - Using shared/uniq pointers all over the place. Get the proper ownership
> model!
> - Using auto, it's not hard to watch your types and using auto makes code
> much more tricky to follow
> - Threading related things should be forbidden in Blender side. Use BLI for
> that. Single scheduler for the win!
> - TLS. It's usually not coming for free. Even worse, will be much less
> predictable across the compilers.
> - No garbage collection!

I like auto but am happy to use it in my own projects, not Blender.

But C++11 threading / async / concurrency is so nice! As long as BLI offers
similar perks... does it? I get the point about single scheduler.

Things i can be convinced for:

> - Initializer lists
> - Enum classes

I've found these incredibly helpful in other projects. Bordering on
essential. I would put constexpr and move semantics in the same
"essentials" bucket.

> - Static assert. I'm using it in Cycles, wouldn't mind if it's used more.

Also helpful but in fewer situations.

Why a limited subset? I'm guessing it's for sanity reasons and not compiler
support, as all major platforms have caught up. I worked with a person that
just discovered lambdas and was using them in every possible situation...
but if a particular C++11 feature is right for the job why not allow it?

-- Mike