[Bf-committers] Retiring Linux GLibc 2.11 builder

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 17:15:33 CEST 2016

Hi,

The whole topic here is only about how we compile binaries for blender.org.
Everyone will still be able to compile Blender on whatever system they use.
It is just becoming real PITA to support such oldie base systems.

To my knowledge Blender's binaries aren't compatible with majority of RHEL
used on render farms and studios and their TDs are already compiling
Blender themselves. So (again, to my knowledge) there is no "regression"
here.

Personally, i find all this vfxplatforms discussion more a speculation. Do
we have some real numbers? Like, are there studios on RHEL who really use
Blender? Are they managing to run official Blender binaries?

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Francesc Juhe <fjuhec at gmail.com> wrote:

> It’s not really inconsistent, it’s just having those 'bleeding edge' libs
> on top of RHEL 6.7 and derivatives as a base, which is old.
> If vfxplatform was based on latest RHEL, the requirements would be glibc
> 2.17 but even that would be below 2.19
>

> On 02 Oct 2016, at 16:23, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > Am not reproaching them to be conservative, but to be inconsistent. On
> > one side you have bleeding edge things (ptex, openvdb, alembic, and the
> > hilarious 'lastest' FBX), on the others, years old basis like gcc4.8 or
> > glibc2.13. Not to mention to ask for a compiler that only has
> > *experimental* support of required c++ version…
> >
> > Note that this would not prevent building blender over glibc2.13 imho,
> > people just might have to disable some features. Here we are talking
> > about official builds from Blender themselves only.

> >> pretty much guarantee they won't use it, which is unfortunate.
> >>
> >> And yes there are definitely some outdated things on that list but it
> >> definitely is taken seriously in the industry.  And as others have said
> you
> >> do see many "conservative" oses. Up until a few releases ago we had to
> >> provide a rhel4 build of prman if I remember correctly.
> >>
> >> Anyway just something to be aware of not trying to throw a monkey
> wrench in
> >> anything.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin