[Bf-committers] Proposal to switch both master and blender2.8 to c++11 be default.

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:17:30 CET 2016

This cost is a one time thing we will incur anyway.

Users should not really experience anything except maybe having blenders
choices line up with the python official version better.

The main benefit it having one environment in which to build 2.8 and if we
ever have to do a 2.7<next> we can do it in that environment as well.

C++11 / C11 have been the default mode for our main compilers for some
time. Apple actively warns with each invocation of the compiler that uses
libstdc++.
And even Debian is transitioning.

I get that there are always arguments for being conservative, but for the
MacOS platform i think it is better to switch and also reap the benefits of
better rebuild-able libraries.
For all platforms i think it would be to be consistent. We default to C++11
in the case of gcc 6 and above ( likely due to that compiler defaulting to
c+11 ) But for clang 3.6 and above this is not done. For any MSVC 2012 or
better this argument would also hold.