[Bf-committers] Proposal to switch both master and blender2.8 to c++11 be default.

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:58:10 CET 2016

So is it all for the locally-compiled Blender (meaning, both releases and
buildbots stays the same as is)?

Keep in mind, while it might be fine on Windows/OSX you'll have some major
problems on Linux (users will lat least need to re-compile all
dependencies). And sure enough they'll run into weird compilation / linking
errors (shall i here note that the guy who proposes to bump something must
become responsive for the users communication and figuring out their
problems caused by the bump? ;)

Still either i'm missing something, or so far the motivation behind such a
change is because we can do it. What are the benefits for users? What is
the problem you're solving here? Why to rush such a thing?

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Martijn Berger <martijn.berger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Martijn Berger <
> martijn.berger at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > The only mayor downside i see is that we would effectively drop OS X
> 10.8
> > > and earlier.
> > >

> > Eek, dropping 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 was not on our Blender 2.7x roadmap.
> This
> > would prevent 2.79 from running on lots of Macs that could handle it (GL
> > 2.1 capable GPUs). Those same Macs are stuck with older GPUs so deciding
> > drop them for Blender 2.8 was easier.
> >
> We never roadmapped dropping WIndows XP. That still has more users then
> 10.7 and 10.8 combined judging form our google analytics.
> 10.9 will soon be dropped from the official support roster by Apple.
>

> > Most people are running latest OS & Xcode and it is annoying to not be
> able
> > to type "make full" and run. By default I agree this should work. No
> hoops!
> >
> It is not just about that. Most compilers and other packages are defaulting
> to it. Compiling binary python stuff for use with the official blender
> makes you jump through more hoops then most people can. Not many people
> have a version of python compiled with msvc 2013 on windows when it is
> officially deprecated and the official python release is with 2015. A
> similar argument can be made for almost any package for python that
> contains native code on MacOS they all use libc++ as that is the default.
>

> > Can we keep the ability to build for 10.6 thru 10.8 using an *older*
> > Xcode/SDK? I keep a drive with 10.9 & older Xcode, but am not a build
> > system guru.
> >
> Sure. release is not build on a machine that is kept up to date. It is
> build on OS X 10.9 with code 6.3 and a clang version compiled by Jens.
>

> > For our next release we could have [Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8] and [Mac OS
> > 10.9 & newer] downloads. That gives us a rough count how many people
> > actually use the older system.
>
> Yes, we can also have windows XP and windows ME, 98 support. it is just a
> question of adding some extra hands. If we care about user numbers we might
> want to port to android soon.
>

> > Mike Erwin
> > musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin