[Bf-committers] Proposal to switch both master and blender2.8 to c++11 be default.

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:44:53 CET 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Martijn Berger <martijn.berger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > The only mayor downside i see is that we would effectively drop OS X 10.8
> > and earlier.
> >

> Eek, dropping 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 was not on our Blender 2.7x roadmap. This
> would prevent 2.79 from running on lots of Macs that could handle it (GL
> 2.1 capable GPUs). Those same Macs are stuck with older GPUs so deciding to
> drop them for Blender 2.8 was easier.

We never roadmapped dropping WIndows XP. That still has more users then
10.7 and 10.8 combined judging form our google analytics.
10.9 will soon be dropped from the official support roster by Apple.

> Most people are running latest OS & Xcode and it is annoying to not be able
> to type "make full" and run. By default I agree this should work. No hoops!

It is not just about that. Most compilers and other packages are defaulting
to it. Compiling binary python stuff for use with the official blender
makes you jump through more hoops then most people can. Not many people
have a version of python compiled with msvc 2013 on windows when it is
officially deprecated and the official python release is with 2015. A
similar argument can be made for almost any package for python that
contains native code on MacOS they all use libc++ as that is the default.

> Can we keep the ability to build for 10.6 thru 10.8 using an *older*
> Xcode/SDK? I keep a drive with 10.9 & older Xcode, but am not a build
> system guru.

Sure. release is not build on a machine that is kept up to date. It is
build on OS X 10.9 with code 6.3 and a clang version compiled by Jens.

> For our next release we could have [Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8] and [Mac OS
> 10.9 & newer] downloads. That gives us a rough count how many people
> actually use the older system.

Yes, we can also have windows XP and windows ME, 98 support. it is just a
question of adding some extra hands. If we care about user numbers we might
want to port to android soon.