[Bf-committers] Proposal to switch both master and blender2.8 to c++11 be default.

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:00:56 CET 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Martijn Berger <martijn.berger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The only mayor downside i see is that we would effectively drop OS X 10.8
> and earlier.

Eek, dropping 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 was not on our Blender 2.7x roadmap. This
would prevent 2.79 from running on lots of Macs that could handle it (GL
2.1 capable GPUs). Those same Macs are stuck with older GPUs so deciding to
drop them for Blender 2.8 was easier.

Most people are running latest OS & Xcode and it is annoying to not be able
to type "make full" and run. By default I agree this should work. No hoops!

Can we keep the ability to build for 10.6 thru 10.8 using an *older*
Xcode/SDK? I keep a drive with 10.9 & older Xcode, but am not a build
system guru.

For our next release we could have [Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8] and [Mac OS
10.9 & newer] downloads. That gives us a rough count how many people
actually use the older system.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire