[Bf-committers] Blender Developers Meeting Minutes - May 27th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun May 29 05:34:24 CEST 2016

Thanks for the responses everyone. Pretty evenly divided. Since Brecht's
ongoing contributions are somewhere between Important and Essential, we'll
keep it working on Mac.

So here's a less drastic proposal:
- OpenGL 2.1 remains the baseline until we're ready to fully switch to 3.2
core profile, to keep Mac devs & testers in the loop. Getting there
requires some fun & some boring work as pointed out.
- major architectural changes go in the blender2.8 branch
- in all branches, new drawing code should avoid legacy GL patterns
(glBegin, display lists, etc.) mostly to ease the transition to core profile
- we encourage use of GL 3.2 but guard those code paths with "if
GLEW_VERSION_3_2". GL 2.1 fallbacks are required in master but optional in
blender2.8 and its sub-branches

GL 3.2 core is still the target baseline for Blender 2.8 -- it will let us
draw nicer pictures faster with cleaner code, bring OpenSubdiv to our Mac
users, and enable techniques that we just can't do in earlier versions.

After core profile is working there's a lot of fallbacks, version checks,
extension checks that can be stripped out. That's one of the fun parts! But
it looks like we have to eat our veggies before this delicious cake is
served.

Continued feedback is welcome on any of these points.

I'll try to answer your other questions shortly!

On Saturday, May 28, 2016, Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>
wrote:

> Sergey, I'm pretty sure we're talking about replacing immediate mode
> with modern OpenGL, not just removing code.
>
> I'm against breaking OS X in the Blender 2.8 branch, at least for me
> it would make contributing to development in that branch more
> difficult. Especially without concrete plans for who is going to
> unbreak it and when.
>
> I'd like to understand the status of the immediate mode removal. Mike,
> is that something you are still working on? Is there something I or
> other developers can do to help speed up development in that area, or
> should we wait for a proposal/code from you?
>
> There's some other things to be done as well, like replacing the
> matrix stack. Is that something you're working on or can someone else
> pick that up?
>

> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > How do you remove immediate mode but keep things working? After removal
> of
> > immediate mode you'll barely have anything in the interface.
> >
> > Did you mean "replace with modern OGL" ? And what's the plan you're
> > referring to?
> >
> > On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I thought the goal was to remove immediate mode calls first? All
> platforms
> >> would benefit.
> >> My preference is to Keep OS X work and do as planned then.
> >>
> >> We can also do a call for help. Someone could point at smaller todos for
> >> volunteers to help migrating. Only when all options fail we can decide
> >> drop a platform temporary.
> >>
> >> -Ton-

> >> Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org <javascript:;>   -   www.blender.org
> >> Chairman Blender Foundation, Producer Blender Institute
> >> Support us - join blender.cloud or Blender Dev Fund.

> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Weekly_Reports/Preparations
> >>

> > --
> > With best regards, Sergey Sharybin

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire