[Bf-committers] Blender Developers Meeting Minutes - May 27th

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Fri May 27 07:46:38 CEST 2016

Hi all,

On the OpenGL topic, my main question is whether anyone working on Blender
2.8 needs Mac support in the next few months. Eventually we'll have
everything working cross platform with GL 3.2 core profile. But to get
started on that we can use 3.2 compatibility profile which works on Windows
and Linux but not Mac.

Git master and current/future Blender 2.7x releases will not be affected.
Just the blender2.8 branch which is the hub for future work.

A few months!? It's not just immediate mode drawing commands that need
replacement. Display lists also go away. Much built-in state and functions
are replaced by GLSL. In other words there's lots to do! And capable people
here that are itching to make progress.

After the meeting I locally bumped GL to 3.2 on Windows, upgraded built-in
shaders and code generator to GLSL 1.5, and scrapped some legacy code. If
nobody objects, that can all go into blender2.8 and not a sub-branch.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire