[Bf-committers] Mac OS 10.7+ for Blender 2.8

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:32:37 CEST 2016

Mac OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" needs to be dropped, since Apple implemented GL
3.2 starting with OS 10.7 "Lion". The rest of the Blender 2.7x line can
still support Snow Leopard.

Now that we can assume OS 10.7 or later, what does that give us?

OpenGL 3.2 -- of course
ARC -- automatic reference counting, no more retain/release
Fullscreen mode -- already implemented, so we can remove the older method.
I see comments about this working better in 10.9 because of improved
multiple monitor handling.

So no huge features for us besides OpenGL. But this does give us an
opportunity to clean up some of the crusty old workarounds. Declare
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED
= 1070 and revisit everywhere this is checked.

I'm not sure if anyone is actively working on GHOST or other Mac-specific
stuff, but wanted to start this conversation early.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire