[Bf-committers] Blender Developers Meeting Minutes - May 9th
jonathan at cgcookie.com
Mon May 9 19:55:50 CEST 2016
Hey all, here are the meeting minutes from todays developer meeting in #blendercoders on IRC.
1) Current Projects:
- Viewport Widgets Project is about ready for code review; artists also welcome to test: https://developer.blender.org/T47032
- Cycles Micropolygon displacement is in development; has Brecht's blessing
- Blender HMD support is about ready for review, should make 2.78: https://developer.blender.org/T47899
- Sergey and Hackerman are working on Cycles hair render and depsgraph speedups, documentation coming soon
2) Other Projects:
- The 2.8 Branch has begun! https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/blender2.8/
- Module teams are encouraged to discuss what legacy features to remove in 2.8 branch, starting to clean the slate for new development
- Simplified 2.8 keymap progresses slowly; nothing to test yet but Jonathan Williamson will reach out to module members before much longer to test
- Thomas Dinges worked last week on refactoring Cycles image code, reducing memory usage for smoke/bumpmaps, and added support for rendering HDRs on AMD machines. https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Proposal
- Lukas Stockner is finishing up some previous Cycles patches before getting started on his GSOC project: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Lukasstockner97/GSoC_2016/Proposal
Lukas could use sample .blends from artists to test denoising. Contact him on IRC.
The main patches are decent color management in Cycles ( https://developer.blender.org/D1973 ), and support for energy conversing microfacet models ( https://eheitzresearch.wordpress.com/240-2/ )
The main thing this enables is more realistic BSDFs. A new Layer model node with glosy coating may also be coming, which will be physically accurate.
- Sebastian Barschkis is working on MantaFlow, cherry picking a few things to start, determining what in Blender can stay and what will be handled by the manta script. https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2016/Proposal
- Julian Eisel is working on a detailed design doc for the Layer Manager, which is about ready. He'll review it with his mentor before publishing. The technical design is about done, just needs written down. https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Julianeisel/GSoC-2016/Layer_Manager_Proposal
- Philipp Gosch is familiarizing himself with the codebase and reading papers. https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:SaphireS/gsoc2016/proposal
- Other GSOC students are encouraged to join IRC and attend Developer Meetings. Stay engaged!
Next meeting is May 18th at 10am Amsterdam time. Check the meeting time in your timezone at: https://blendercoders.xyz
More information about the Bf-committers