[Bf-committers] GSoC: Morphing shaders

alvaro.ricon at est.fib.upc.edu alvaro.ricon at est.fib.upc.edu
Wed Mar 23 20:12:38 CET 2016

Hello,

My name is Álvaro Ricón. I am working on the Computer
Engineering/Science final project, at the "Facultad d'Informàtica de
Barcelona (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya)".

The project I'm conducting, with the supervision of the teacher Àlvar
Vinacua, is entitled "GPU Morphing". The idea is to study and develop
mesh-morphing algorithms which harnesses the power and parallelism of
current graphic processors. As the main goal of my work I decide to
develop a set of morphing shaders to perform this transform at
runtime, without needing user interaction.

The mesh morphing I'm trying to get is an automatic transition between
any pair of meshes. In order to be able to do this I would use every
kind of shaders I need, from vertex to tessellation, even compute
ones. In fact, I'm currently developing compute shaders to implement
the first step: spherical parameterization.

I plan to finish my project at the end of May, and I would like to
port all my work to Blender in the following months, at Google Summer
of Code.

It could be a fast-computed animation tool. The vey first idea was to
use it on videogames (Blender Game Engine?), due to its potential
realtime computation, saving memory of useless pre-calculated
animations for any kind of transformations the game demands, which it
would make possible to be a lot. What do you think about about it? It
is feasible to present as a proposal for GSoC? If it isn't, can I just
work on implementing more shader capabilities to Blender code?

Hope you like the idea, and if you have any doubt do not hesitate to
contact me. Thank you in advance. Best regards,

Álvaro