[Bf-committers] Fwd: [GSoC] (Very) Late introductions, T47541, not a proposal

David mdyarma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:06:38 CET 2016

Hello,

My name is David Casas (I have been stalking around IRC as Hermito as of
late). I recently learnt about this Google Summer of Code thing, and I
found it really interesting, specially the whole part of working to improve
Blender.

I became specially interested in the following listed ideas:

   - Improve Undo Memory Usage for Mesh Data
   - Sculpting Tools
   - Normal Editing Tools
   - Trackpads, smooth scrolling and multitouch support

But I reckoned that before trying to get anywhere with those I should get a
grasp on the Blender source and understand how it operates. As a means for
that I decided to tackle https://developer.blender.org/T47541 and make
myself a patch that addresses this issue. Even though I haven't been able
to finish that, I have a piece of code that starts to look like something
and I believe I understand enough so that criticism on it becomes
meaningful.

That is why:

   1. I would like it if someone had a look at the code attached and
   commented things I should change. (for example: I believe the
   bridge_loop_pair interface I am trying to use isn't accessible? I left it
   like that because it felt like something of that sort should be possible
   even if it isn't this exact way)
   2. It would also make me happy if someone helped me on how to hook this
   new modifier into blender so as to build and test it. All I have so far is
   this standalone file and I am guessing some other changes in different
   places will be needed.
   3. Even though it's really really late, I would like to make a proposal
   and work with you this summer. So knowing which of the mentioned proposal
   ideas is most needed, or which do you think would be best suited for
   someone who just started looking into the blender development would be very
   helpful too.

The light shine on all of you,

David Casas.