[Bf-committers] Normal Editing Tools (GSOC 2016)

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 22 14:23:48 CET 2016

Hi Stefan,

Answered mostly already in IRC and with comments on draft gdoc (suggest
you share the link here, others might be interested to check too).

Just adding here some more general info about custom normals in our code:
* They are stored as some kind of diff from vertex (aka smooth) normals,
more precisely, we define a 'loop space' and store custom normals in
those as two factors (read code for more details). This allows us to
keep (to some limited extent!) meaningful normals even with deformed
geometry.
* However, they are broken once you change the mesh topology, to support
this you'll need to switch to temp 'full vector' representation.

So you'll have to decide when to use 'encoded' form of normals in BMesh,
and when to manipulate raw vectors.

* As commented, deciding how we allow to control face corners' normals
(UI wise and code wise) is a crucial design topic that should be tackled
very early (do we define a new selection mode? a new edit mode? etc.)

Would also suggest you create your draft on google site asap, easier to
handle all review/interaction in one place ;)

Cheers,
Bastien