[Bf-committers] [GSoC 2016] Sculpting Tools

Jiang Cecil cecil.ini.jiang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:08:17 CET 2016

Hi,

My name is Kairong Jiang. I'm a third-year undergraduate student of
Zhejiang University and I major in computer science. I have been working
under professor Yue Chen on a VTK-based program and I'm interested in
making better sculpting tools for blender as my GSoC 2016 project.

I have been trying the existing sculpting tools of blender and reading some
of the source codes concerning sculpting to make sense of how they work. I
think it wouldn't be too hard to implement the tools proposed on the ideas
page once I figured out how sculpting was done in blender. That is the data
structures of vertices and meshes, and the procedures to manipulate them. I
could really need someone to tell me which specific code those procedures
are implemented so that I can look into it.

As for the three sculpting tools proposed on the  ideas page, I can think
of some intuitive and naive methods to implement them, but I wonder if
there are some better ways. Also it would be nice if someone can tell me
whether there are researches on implementing such tools or implementations
in other 3D modeling softwares and where I can learn about them.

I tried to use IRC a couple of days ago but I found it confusing that I
have no idea who I should talk to on this topic. I would be appreciated if
anyone could offer me some guidance and discuss further with me about the
details of the project.

Thanks,
Kairong Jiang