[Bf-committers] [GSoC] OpenGL 2D Drawing API

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 23:59:48 CET 2016

Hi Chris, welcome!

I wrote that caveat about prior work, but not the original project idea.
Really it's "ongoing work" which is mostly focused on 3D, and that 2D
should share some inner workings instead of totally diverging. One of the
technical goals for Blender 2.8 is a GPU API that the rest of our code can
call into, that is performant, correct and easier to use. You could
call this an abstraction layer but we're not trying to wrap all of OpenGL
-- just the parts we want to use.

Anyone working on a clean 2D UI drawing API should be aware of how that
would fit into and affect the overall GPU API. Which is exactly what
mentors are for! Put together a proposal early then we can give more
specific feedback. You can revise it up to the deadline.

Also you should check out non-Blender prior work such as Quartz, Skia,
NV_path_rendering. Our 2D API doesn't need to be as complete as those since
it's for our internal use.

OpenGL 3.2 core profile is our target for future work, so focus on that.

On Sunday, March 20, 2016, Chris Stankus <cdstankus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in working on the OpenGL 2D Drawing API for Google Summer of
> Code. I am proficient in C and have experience with OpenGL. The idea
> description mentions that prior work has been been done on abstracting
> OpenGL calls and I am interested in knowing what has been done prior so my
> proposal can be more concrete.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Stankus

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire