[Bf-committers] [GSOC 2016] - Solidify Modifier

Florestan BRUNCK florestan.brunck at hotmail.fr
Thu Mar 17 22:45:06 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm studying Mathematics and Computer Science at McGill University, Montreal and I'm very interested in participating in Blender development. I've been using your software for seven years as a user so I'm really excited to be able to contribute now.

I'm really interested in the 'Higher Quality Solidify modifier" project, and also the "Cycle denoiser" project but due to my current skill set I think my contribution would be more valuable working on the Solidify Modifier.

I have a very strong background in Mathematics and although I'm rather new to coding I am comfortable in C, java, python, bash and assembly.

I got Blender compiled on my computer and had a quick look at some of the documentation. I've located the file MOD_solidify.c and started having a look at it.

I've read the documentation and it is my understanding that the main issue with the modifier is that the wall thickness is an approximation and might be uneven depending on the base model's topology. To rectify that we'd need to create additional geometry on the outer shell built by the modifier.

Can any of the mentors in charge of the project confirm that and maybe give me more details as to what the project would consist in and what (mini)-milestones they're expecting the student to reach ?

I started drafting a proposal but obviously so far it's rather empty except for the bio section : https://www.dropbox.com/s/x76wcfj6hb21gje/gsoc-2016.pdf?dl=0.

Thank you for your time,

Florestan