[Bf-committers] blender requests for gsoc

Rusty Wright rusty.wright at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:32:50 CET 2016

This is from
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?369411-blender-absurdest-absurdities-log/page3
where he says it better than I can:

* Alphabetize things. When clicking on the Surface drop down in the
Properties window, I get a mixed-up order of the types of shaders
available. It always takes me a minute to get my bearings and find the
shader I actually want. This isn't the only spot where things would benefit
from being alphabetized. There's the Surface -> Normal drop down, there's
the search menu, there's the User Preferences Input screen, there's the add
material node menu in the Node Editor, etc.

* ...but don't alphabetize things too much! The outliner is really useful,
but it should list objects in a case insensitive manner. I know that
computers think in terms of case sensitivity, but non-Linux users do not.

* If you change a color selector so that it takes HSV or hex values, have
Blender remember that when saving/opening the file. I almost exclusively
paste in hex color values from another program; it's great that Blender
remembers so much in a saved file, but it's a bit annoying how it switches
the default color switcher option back to RGB every time I re-open a file.

For the 3rd one, about HSV or hex values, these are the three buttons in
the color picker under the color wheel.  I always use HSV.  But when I
start a new blender it's set back to RGB and I have to click on the HSV
button again.  Blender does remember it's set to HSV if you do a File ->
New, but it's when you quit Blender that it forgets you had it set to HSV,
which I find annoying.

For the 1st one, the place where I find it very annoying is in the Surface
drop down (Glossy BSDF, Emission, Diffuse BSDF, etc.).

Thanks