[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2016 - Adding CAD functionality to Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Mar 5 17:20:02 CET 2016

Hi Duarte,

Thanks for the insight, I fully agree to keep focus on Blender as a creative tool.
A lot of architects use Blender. Not for CAD, but as free design and visualization tool.

I also want to point students here at FreeCAD and other open source CAD projects.

BRL-CAD is an umbrella vor 6 CAD projects even:
http://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Project_Ideas

Please support them! We really need good open source specialized CAD programs!

It's well possible to draw a line between what's CAD and what's 3D modeling and visualization (and animation etc). We can make sure our programs work well together, rather than having Blender to add a CAD module that makes you to not need to learn or support FreeCAD.

Why not streamline I/O with the popular CAD tools?

In Blender: better precision modeling tools (to make buildings or industrial designed objects) are very welcome, provided it works together in harmony with creative real-time tools as we have now.

My 2 cents,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute