[Bf-committers] GSoC 2016 Preliminary proposal to optimize the memory usage of mesh undo

Ounan Ding ounanding at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:19:37 CET 2016

Hi,

I am Ounan Ding(IRC: TheBusyTypist).
I am interested in Blender and willing to contribute to our community in
the coming GSoC 2016.

Here is my preliminary proposal to optimize the memory usage of mesh undo:

https://github.com/thebusytypist/gsoc-2016-doc/raw/master/proposals/mesh-undo-memory/mesh-undo-memory.pdf

(and I put it on wiki.blender.org as well:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:TheBusyTypist/GSoC2016-Mesh-Undo-Memory
But I suggest to read above pdf version since it has better typesetting)

I have a review of current implementation here:
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2016/02/28/notes-on-undo.html
It helps me form this proposal.

I also have some notes and practice on the Blender Operator system:
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2015/03/28/write-first-blender-operator.html
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2015/04/01/analyze-primitive-cube-add-operator.html
which lead me to the design in my proposal.

Currently I am still working on more strategies for specific Operators.
I am also looking forward to commends and critiques from you.

Thank you.