[Bf-committers] Preliminary proposal to improve the Solidify modifier

Ounan Ding ounanding at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 02:36:12 CET 2016

Hi,

I am Ounan Ding(IRC: TheBusyTypist).
I am interested in Blender and willing to contribute to our community in
the coming GSoC 2016.

Here is my preliminary proposal to improve the Solidify modifier:

https://github.com/thebusytypist/gsoc-2016-doc/raw/master/proposals/solidify/solidify.pdf

(and I put it on wiki.blender.org as well:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:TheBusyTypist/GSoC2016-Solidify-Modifier
But I suggest to read above pdf version since it has better typesetting)

I take several preparation steps to form this proposal, you may find it
useful:

* A review of current implementation of Solidify modifier:

http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2016/03/01/notes-on-current-solidify-modifier.html

* A summery of reading on a paper suggested by ideasman42:

http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2016/02/20/notes-on-offset-surfaces-and-shape-optimization.html

* A prototype program to illustrate one possible solution in 2D:

http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2016/02/25/hamilton-jacobi-equation-and-surface-propagation.html

And also some notes from me about modifier system in Blender:
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2015/07/23/how-modifier-system-works-part-1.html
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2015/07/25/how-modifier-system-works-part-2.html
http://blender.linearconstraints.net/2015/08/04/how-modifier-system-works-part-3.html

Thanks ideasman42(Campbell Barton) for his tips and hints on reading the
code,
providing reading suggestions,
and helping me to understand the requirements.

Also thanks kasper^ on IRC for pointing out the potential issue of the
change of mesh network structure.

Currently I still consider some parts of this proposal very vague.
And I will continue to work on in following directions:

* Learn how other 3D software handle this problem.

* Read more papers on similar topics and analyze the pros and cons.

I am also looking forward to comments and critiques from you.

Thank you.