[Bf-committers] GSoC 2016: Finish multi-camera reconstruction

Hunter hunter at 4-inches.de
Thu Mar 3 10:05:10 CET 2016

Hi,

there is a huge interest in Blender VFX. So I look forward to
improvements in this areas: Motion Tracking, Compositing, VSE, etc.

And if you are looking for a additional project, in my opinion,
we are in need of a better motion blur support in the compositor.

Footage comes from different sources, and needs to be
combined and matched better:
- Stop-Motion footage
- Freestyle footage
- OpenGL Vieport footage
- Blender Internal footage
- Regular Movies (adding additional motion blur)

Current limitations:
The actual Vector Blur Node works ok, but only when you render the
scene and add the blur after the render is finished and the file
is saved. Other solution is to save a large Multilayer EXR file
with the z-buffer and speed/vector passes.

Sergey implemented an interesting feature in Blender 2.77, which
is a nice addition, but it blurs the whole layer, so masking/roto
and tracking of certain parts (multiple tracking points) would be
required to make it work.

Cycles motion blur is amazing and fast, but the artist has to
determine the motion blur before the rendering, changing
it means re-render.

What I have in mind:
https://vimeo.com/130816568
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRo1JP72ZIc

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cpl/projects/blur/MotionBlur_BrostowEssa_SIGGRAPH01.pdf

I think that this is related to tracking, because the pixel motion
of the footage must be analyzed, and I believe this is what the
the libmv library does for tracking.

What do you think?