[Bf-committers] GSoC 2016: Finish multi-camera reconstruction

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 06:48:34 CET 2016

Hi,

Answers are inlined.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Matthias Fauconneau <
matthias.fauconneau at gmail.com> wrote:

> The two lens ideas seem too related to be separate:

They are related indeed, and in fact should be combined with some other
projects since they aren't that big actually at all.

> I think variable focal length / implicit distortion estimation is adding
> the lens parameters to the set of variables in the Ceres resolution.

Ceres is mainly used for BA step, you'll also need to make
intersection/resection aware of the changing focal length,

> Explicit lens distortion estimation with a calibration grid is
> already done in backend and only needs to be hooked up.

Where exactly it's done? To my knowledge we only have implementation based
on OpenCV. That is unacceptable for Blender. Calibration is to be redone to
use Libmv's basement and support it's distortion models and such.

> I am not sure how the interest in Blender VFX is these days, maybe there
> are some other features users are looking forward too.

There is quite a big interests in VFX along Blender's users.