[Bf-committers] Issues with broken Addons on windows

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Tue Mar 1 13:46:33 CET 2016

Hi;

*Question:*

Can we tell our Addon to only search in the Blender Python
System folders to become independent from what other
addons add to the Scripts folders?

*Why we want that:*

We get frequent (~twice per week) Addon installation error reports
from our Windows users:

     %1 is not a valid Win32 application

We debugged this and found the cause is a file _socket.pyd in the
scripts directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blender
Foundation\Blender\2.76\scripts\_socket.pyd

Addons seem to lookup the scripts folder for pyd files and take
what they can find there, even if the same file is delivered with
Blender's own python.

*Remark:*

We can not find out how this _socket.pyd file gets into the
scripts folder. We for sure do not distribute this.

Also all users reported so far that they use the Addon Installer
to install their addons and that's it.

The "fix" is: delete the application data folder, restart blender
and all is  well. IMHO this is not a fix but an odd workaround.

Thanks for taking care :)
cheers,
Gaia