[Bf-committers] questions about particles and collisions

Ronan Ducluzeau zeauron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:43:06 CEST 2016

When you are using emitter particles, your main interest is particles flow.
You don't really care of particle-to-emitter collision, most of times
emitter is not rendered.

Particles can be ejected from somewhere. Most of times, emitter is out of
sight.
They are raindrops that comes from sky or balls that comes
hole of a bag or sparks from a fire or solar arborescence ...

If your emitter is supposed to be hole or a plasma thing, you don't expect
to see a barrier that allows emission of particles in one direction but
blocks them in the opposite direction.

A simple planar surface is easier to manipulate to indicate emission
direction than adding vertex group or texture to limit emission to a small
part of a complex mesh.
Use case of particles on a complex mesh is often synonym to a
disintegration of that mesh through an explode modifier.
Here is could be useful.
But we have a fracture modifier build that will give better rigid bodies
collisions taking account shapes of fragments.

In 2.4x, particles could be emitted from dying particles.
We could emit raindrops that would die on floor and then provoke emission
of smaller more numerous particles.