[Bf-committers] Policy for decision making process

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 13:17:50 CEST 2016

Hi,

While i see that some level of private communication is needed when dealing
with studios who doesnt' do Open Movies to understand their workflow better
and such, that's where private commuication ends IMO. All the technical
details of both short and long terms of Blender development should be moved
to piblic. This also includes all the roadmaps and such.

I agree with Campbell that it should be formalized and put in a way that we
communicate development in public.

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Joel Godin <joelgodin at ymail.com> wrote:

> Amen.  I think that's what 'open' in 'open source' is supposed to mean.
>

>     On Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:16 AM, Campbell Barton <
> ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  Hi, recently a private group was setup for Blender developers and
> professional users
> with active developers receiving invites (unofficial, unrelated to the
> Blender-Foundation/Institute).
>
> While there nothing wrong with people setting up their own private
> communication channels,
> it raises a concern regarding decision making policy.
>
> So far we have been quite informal in our development process without
> minimal rules & policy documents.
> Its even possible we discussed this already, but I couldn't find any
> information on it, only [0] which doesn't cover very much.
>
> I'd be more comfortable that developers are part of private groups
> like this if we had a policy similar to the Apache software project,
> that is:
>
>  "Project technical decisions MUST be made and communicated on public
> and archived places." [1]
>
> This is formalizing what we're already doing (for the most part), on
> the mailing lists and developer.blender.org.
>
> I'm proposing to update our policy document to include this text.
>

> [0]: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects/Policy
> [1]: https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements#governance (second
> point)
>
> --