[Bf-committers] Policy for decision making process

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 09:16:25 CEST 2016

Hi, recently a private group was setup for Blender developers and
professional users
with active developers receiving invites (unofficial, unrelated to the
Blender-Foundation/Institute).

While there nothing wrong with people setting up their own private
communication channels,
it raises a concern regarding decision making policy.

So far we have been quite informal in our development process without
minimal rules & policy documents.
Its even possible we discussed this already, but I couldn't find any
information on it, only [0] which doesn't cover very much.

I'd be more comfortable that developers are part of private groups
like this if we had a policy similar to the Apache software project,
that is:

 "Project technical decisions MUST be made and communicated on public
and archived places." [1]

This is formalizing what we're already doing (for the most part), on
the mailing lists and developer.blender.org.

I'm proposing to update our policy document to include this text.

[0]: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects/Policy
[1]: https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements#governance (second point)

--
- Campbell