[Bf-committers] How to handle simple files (images, videos, sounds, fonts...) as Assets?

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 4 17:03:46 CEST 2016

Hey Francesco :)

Yes, option 1 is basically allowing to have assets not as full
datablocks, but as a subset of a datablock. In a very primitive way for
now (i.e., having filepaths [of images, sounds etc.] of a 'real' local
Blender datablock controlled as assets).

This was started when I wanted to add a quick second asset engine to my
branch, using same system as Sybren's work to serve textures from the
Cloud. Wanted to test a real-life remote server-based system, and
realized that the addon only gave access to image files, not image
datablocks! ;)

I think this could be a basis for more advanced sub-datablock 'proxy'
thing (also very similar to what Lukas proposed some times ago iirc).
But I do not intend to create a complete system for that now - rather a
quick workaround/hack for file-based data in Blender, a full design here
would be worth its own project. Could be enough though to add support
for things like alembic caches later, hopefully. ;)

And also I was a bit depressed by option 1 when I wrote the mail (will
imply a lot of noisy monkey-coding changes in our codebase :/), I still
prefer it to option 2, for pretty much the same reasons as you. Much
better to keep asset/library handling in a few, generic places, than
starting spreading it everywhere!

Regards,
Bastien