[Bf-committers] Meeting Minutes - June 27th

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:35:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

1) 2.78 release

> - Meeting agrees not to push for 2.78 release soon, instead check on
> critical fixes we could back-port for 2.77b.
>
> We have had T47900 (sequencer crash) reported a few times, there are
> various other crash fixes that could be applied too. Initial list:
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.77/b

Depends on when exactly 2.78 is planned. AFAIR initial idea was to go to RC
in July, for which we still have 4 weeks, which is enough to finish current
targets and not too much long to bring all the crucial fixes.

The issue here is that we did quite enough fixes which are quite bad (crash
fixes, rendering fixes etc..). It's also unclear what crucial fix is
exactly, and every time we backport something it ends up being lots of 10s
of revisions, which are not always well-tested.

My point here is: it'll take enough energy to go over all the commits,
review them, backport, test, do all release bizz etc. So unless we go to
2.78RC in a month it's not really efficient to work on 'b' now.

I'm also not sure why to push 2.78 away for more than a month? There are
enough new features. Somehow feel we should finish with them and switch
whole team to blender2.8 branch.. Perhaps even stop bug tracker maintenance
;)

However, if we really delaying 2.78 a lot, then i would thing we should
change our approach for corrective release a bit: we should not backport
and AHOY same day. Instead we should backport revisions and call for tests
in #bcoders. That would help us making sure we don't release semi-tested
codebase (so we know we didn't miss any fix-for-fix)

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin