[Bf-committers] Documentation editing is not user friendly

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:48:32 CET 2016

I have been working on making a video about the VSE. I thought it would be
easy but it turns out not to be because of a lot of factors including my
computer.

To get to the point, the VSE documentation is quite bad. I know it is being
worked on by someone and I thought I would help him since I was rereading
everything anyway. But it turned out to be very hard to do.

I thought it would be like Wikipedia, you edit it and it is done. That is
NOT the way it is. You must first be signed up. You must download a copy of
the source document code and then you must change that in a funny editors
language and then you must compile it on your computer. Then you have to
submit it as if were were writing C code.

Guess what? I could not get it to compile on Sabayon Linux. I don't have
time to fight with it but I did ask and got a nice reply that he would just
take my ideas and do it for me. All (not the nice guy) this results in me
being VERY put off from helping with the documentation. I am sure I am not
the first to run into this big wall.

I am good with computers but this was WAY too much for me to go through.
Think what it must be like for the computer phobic artists? It is just
simply to hard for the average person to bother with. It is no wonder that
the documentation is so bad. We need to do something to make this light an
easy.

Ton said that we need someone to interface between the users and the
developers to let them know about new stuff and how it all works. This is
the job of the manual and if the manual were as great and cool as the 2.4
manual then I think we would not need someone to do this so badly for us.
We need to improve the "new" manual a LOT. It needs to be easy to do.

I think it would be a great idea to move to a system like Wikipedia.

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I did not find
another place.

Let's make working on the manual as easy as helping with Wikipedia!

Thanks,

--
Douglas E Knapp