[Bf-committers] blender as ui for game engine

Owen Hogarth II gurenchan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:25:18 CET 2016

If others are willing to implement the plugin architecture I personally
have no feelings towards, it misses the point that I was trying to push
forward. I do not want blender to change or to start focusing on game
developers, I know that's a fool's errand. What I want to do is very simple
to explain.

Take all the core c files dealing with the blender DNA/RNA data structures
and refactor them so that anything that needs access to those data
structures can just include those header files and deal with the DNA/RNA
data structures, that would include loading, saving and accessing anything
within a blender scene. Pretty much exposing a specific subset of the
python api that deals with the scene, model, materials, nodes, etc... only
exposing it at a lower level from the c api.

Once that's done anyone could use blender to design their levels, use the c
api to write out some data in whatever format their engine want's to
consume. It's not turning blender into a game engine, it's just allowing
blender to export it's data in different way.

If the core of blender is refactored in the way that I am suggesting, it
could be like this:
https://www.blender.org/api/blender_python_api_2_76_2/info_quickstart.html

without the cons and using the c programming language. Although I am mostly
interested in the aspects dealing with the scenes, materials, cameras, etc.

Best,
Owen