[Bf-committers] Intesting smal suggestions

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:07:44 CET 2016

> I have three small suggestions to make that will improve a lot the
> usability
> of some important features in blender:
>
> first - > Shrink modifier: it needs a influency vertex group, so we can
> adjust the vertices that are the target to shrink to.
>
> Its usefull to cloths and a lot of other things.

Pretty much all the modifiers could use lots of extra options, in the goal
to make them useful for more use case and keep your objects more
procedural/parametric. The problem is when to stop adding stuff that is too
specific, because it bloats the UI and code and confuse users. A better
solution would be "object nodes" with the current modifiers as nodes and
inputs as sockets so you can pass the vertices/edges and faces you want to
each modifiers.

> second -> a new modifier: weld vertices or something like that. vertex
> close enough mix each other in pars to one vertex of different meshes.

Sometimes using the shrink warp modifier with snap to vertex and vertex
group can do what you want, sometimes not. In the past I thought of writing
a "bridge loop" modifier to fill holes in a object and fill gaps between 2
meshes. But it would suffers from the same caveat as other modifier when
combining with other modifiers. Also I think object nodes would permit to
do that .

Long story short: I am very excited about the "object nodes" and think you
should be too.
https://www.youtube.com/user/lukastoenne