[Bf-committers] blender as ui for game engine

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 05:10:44 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Owen Hogarth II <gurenchan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that gamekit link was posted before, I've run across it before but
> that still misses the point. It's an external tool that's duplicating a lot
> of the work that blender already does. It is a pretty nice piece of
> software though but that skill could be used to refactor the internals of
> blender so that things like those aren't really necessary.
>
> I am a part of the blender dev community but haven't made any attempts to
> push any code to the repo mainly because I don't really like doing an half
> ass job. That's the main reason that I came here to the mailing list asking
> these question. If it's a go I would like to get started but if it's not
> okay I'd like to know up front as well so that my time can be spent
> elsewhere.

Unfortunately I can't give a definitive answer here,
which is typical for anyone requesting if large changes to would be accepted.

And as I said previously, making Blender into a library means we're
writing middle-ware for other developers
(yet another kind of user to have to support).
If I had to guess, I think the chances of this being accepted into
master are low.

Though its possible you manage to do this in a way that isn't pulling
development in too many different directions...
Or the changes are small enough that we can accept most into master,
and the part that makes Blender into a library can be a build-option
or maintained in a branch.

> I'd still like to know the reasoning behind why there are two exit
> functions as mentioned by Ton earlier. I have been in the blender irc, name
> blubee that's my name pretty much everywhere online. Anyways, that's
> besides the point. Could Ton or anyone else at least explain why there's
> two exit functions in blender?

Ton was pointing out he initially planned on having 2 exit functions,
then chose not to, adding a comment in the code that the function call
was incorrect usage (which Hewi cited).
This is all made nice and confusing sine now there *are* 2 exit
functions (for unrelated reasons).

You're really better off checking over the code if your curious about
whats going on.

> Best,
> Owen
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 10:02 PM, homac <homac at strace.org> wrote:
>
>> Wow, that looks sophisticated (i.e. interesting). Thanks for sharing!
>>

>> On 23/01/16 14:12, Arnaud Loonstra wrote:
>> >
>> > I haven't seen this in this discussion but are you familiar with the
>> > GameKit project?
>> > It has two approaches to loading the blender data:
>> >
>> https://github.com/gamekit-developers/gamekit/tree/master/Tools/FileTools/FileFormats/Blend
>> >
>> > I think it's quite universal. I've used it to write a blend loader for
>> > my custom needs.
>> >
>> > Rg,
>> >
>> > Arnaud

- Campbell