[Bf-committers] blender as ui for game engine

homac homac at strace.org
Fri Jan 22 00:03:22 CET 2016

Yes, I can! :D

1. I like coding.
2. I was looking for a library which reads .blend in Java without
    crashing, provides access to materials, animations, lighting etc.
    and has no dependencies on other libraries/game engines.
3. I was naive enough to think that it will be an easy task.
    But I stuck to my plan and made it work.

BTW: There have been discussions on a "Blender Plugin System" earlier
(which is basically what you want, if I read you correctly). From my
point of view, the baseline of this discussion is, that it is a lot of
work and has multiple side-effects and therefore takes many years. Users
will not get aware of the whole effort spend on the plugin system until
the first thirdparty plugins appear which have features not available
with python scripts or just better performance. But they will see, that
progress of other projects slows down instead. Thus, as long as there
are no trustworthy, reliable, experienced volunteers, who take the
responsibility to work on it in cooperation with devs of the respective
Blender submodules, for at least a couple of years, then there will be
no plugin system.

Again, that is my personal opinion!

But a less intrusive solution to this is of course a C library for
.blend files. Because, Blender's clipboard functionality (CTRL+C/CTRL+V)
uses a .blend file as well. I'm not familiar with RNA, but I assume it
is possible to trigger CTRL-C from python and then run an external
program to process the data to override objects with the results
afterwards. That is a basically a loosely coupled plugin (even though it
runs in its own process).

There are C libraries out there (e.g. assimp, don't know how stable) but
the best solution would be to take the original source code + a proper
interface and just link it into a library. (I talked to someone who had
the same idea - don't remember his name, unfortunately.)

Regards
  Holger