[Bf-committers] blender as ui for game engine

Owen Hogarth II gurenchan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:52:31 CET 2016

Jacob that's usually where it all ends up, stalled. They are trying to
write a java parser for the python code when in all actuality if the core
of blender was reorganized a bit, there would be no need for these types of
things. c is universal, blender is built on c and for ease of use the
blender team decided to allow python scripts to allow more users to write
useful tools which they do, no doubt about that.

But for this type of work those things will only cause trouble, python to
java or those topical fixes seem to work for a while until you run into
memory issues, how does python manage memory vs java, do you want to deal
with trying to maintain that?

reorganizing the c code and then engines can speak directly to blender.
There won't need to be separate code to maintain, it will be a part of the
main blender repo. You tell blender how to export models from c and your
game engine interprets that data however you choose. Want blender to
triangulate your mesh, write resources to a certain format, etc... That can
all be done from c but it's not easy to get to the way the current blender
code is organized.

If you follow all those people who've attempted to do a topical fix they
all get burnt out and sorta walk away or just disappear. The google code
guy who did the android port, where did he go after the summer of code?
Around 2011 there was a lot of excitement around that project and it just
fizzled out. I am pretty sure he left one because time was up but also
managing memory from two different languages with different memory models
is not easy to solve. It's going to take looking at the problem in a
different way and a little time to make serious changes. That's why I am
looking for the community support.

Best,
Owen